Two existing buildings in Waterkant St. were transformed to house the new head office of Freeworld Coatings (Pty) Ltd in Cape Town. These buildings form two sides of a previously hidden unattractive courtyard which is flanked on the other side by three of the most important historical buildings in Cape Town -Martin Melck House, Evangelical Lutheran Church and Sexton’s House. The following were important in the design:
- Permeability of ground floor to create awareness of the courtyard & historical buildings visible to the pedestrian in Waterkant St.
- To interconnect the historical buildings on the opposite side of Waterkant St. with the historical courtyard.
- Uncluttering and upgrading of the courtyard (one of the most important in Cape Town)
- Opening up the existing buildings to the courtyard on all levels.
- Simplicity in form in order not to compete with the historical buildings
- Openness and transparency throughout the building to reflect Freeworld Coatings open and free thinking philosophy.